Monday 16 December 2013

Choosing Website Developer - any advice?

Now when my business ideas and plans are shaping up a bit better, I want to think a bit about my online presence.

Websites are now a commoditised product.  It does not cost very much to set up a website, especially if you are using standard templates provided by your chosen hosting company.  Using a professional web-designer is also not that expensive any more - for a couple of thousand you can build a comprehensive eCommerce site.  However, if you need to do something special, it is probably better to use a web-developer.

As a typical beginner, I reserved my domain with a hosting company, and so far did absolutely nothing. Now I decided that I definitely want to use a web-designer to help me to set it up, and I am a bit confused with the choices I have.

On one hand, I have recommendations from friends - some small companies who can put together all necessary components available on the market, including some standard Content Management System (CMS).  On the other hand, at the start-up exhibition I was impressed by some slightly larger companies (with track record of 300+ websites) who have their own CMS.  Although I liked them a lot, would not it be restrictive to engage with a company who use their inhouse developed web-management products? What if I do not get along with them or I will want to move to another platform?  I wish somebody could advise me.

Any views and recommendations on http://www.digitalvirtue.com/  ?

I suppose I will have to talk to all of them and go with my gut feeling.  In a meantime, I will start writing up my business requirements for the website - something exciting to do over Christmas.


Image source: http://www.yescando.com  


No comments:

Post a Comment