Sunday 8 December 2013

How to make a small fortune

Everything in my research so far indicates that getting into furniture design and manufacturing is a very bad idea.  The costs are high, the demand is low, the competition is fierce.  The high-end furniture business is doing well, but if you do not have an Italian brand with a century history (like http://www.cassina.com has), or you haven't raised millions for marketing and branding (like made.com did), then how do you get through there?

The first craftsman told me that he has given up on bespoke furniture and switched to kitchen accessories production instead.

The first young designer with furniture design degree told me that he is happy to work with me, but he does not want to do furniture.  Instead he would like to make crystal or pottery vases.  That deserves a separate post, as I think that might be a good project to start with.

The first furniture company I talked to at the Design Show, told me the following joke: 
 - How to make a small fortune?
 - Take a large fortune and invest it in furniture business.
And that came from the experienced furniture designer who spent most of his life creating furniture pieces for Marks&Spencers.

Should I take a hint at this point?


Image from http://www.allvoices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment