Wednesday 18 December 2013

Furniture Design

Given that I am new to the furniture industry, I have started reading a bit more about furniture design.
Just got on my Kindle "Furniture Design" by Jim Postell and find it very interesting as this book is not just a collection of beautiful photographs as most books on design are, but a comprehensive educational guide to all aspects of furniture design as an academic discipline (including the business perspective).

On top of that, it is impossible to avoid googling designers, pictures and videos.  So here are a couple of videos that really stretched my imagination - from traditional techniques to modern days 3-D printing.

This is a BBC introduction to the new furniture gallery in Victoria&Albert Museum.

And this - I am not even sure what it is - but it is really cool and involves 3-D printing. It is quite an old video from 2007 - I wonder how advanced these technologies have become by now.  3D printing certainly looks like a great way to prototype furniture and other objects, but it is affordable technology or not yet?



No comments:

Post a Comment